Home energy consumption is one of the main problems of people today and in the long run we have to switch to some kind of alternative-energy sources. We already know that the use of oil, gas and coal are all resources that we may eventually run out of, or at least the prices will be exploding. The fact is we all need electricity to power our lives. We need the level of civilization that can be provided by electricity. However, most people think that the price they pay is just too much for the amount of electricity they get to consume.
In the true spirit of humanity, people did what they always do whenever there’s something that does not completely satisfy them about life: they innovated.
What we have to rely on in the future is renewable alternative energy sources. These resources are all resources that offer us an abundant supply and will never run out. They recharge and allow us to enjoy them again and again. The renewable resources consist of solar power, biomass energy, hydrogen fuel, winds energy, geothermal power, wave and tidal energy from the ocean, and hydro energy. We need all of these and right now we have access to each one of them. What do they do and how do they help us saving energy? Let’s find out.
Consider these types of alternative energy sources:
1) Wind energy – Nowadays, wind turbines are used in homes to run small generators. These generators produce and store electricity to be used in running small home appliances. However, windmills have been around for a long time. If you take a look at the word “windmill” you will realize that this type of alternative home energy device was used for a purpose other than producing electricity. Yes, the windmill was indeed, used to mill grain. Seeing as how this was so effective, it was inevitable that the windmill evolve into the 21st century in order to be used as an alternative energy source.
2) Solar energy – Many people think of this type of alternative home energy as something that’s technologically advanced. In a sense, harnessing the power of the sun to produce electricity is. But this alternative home energy has already been in use for a long, long time.
This renewable energy source is harnessed nowadays for a variety of tasks. Some use it to heat their homes, others use solar power to heat water, and other people use solar cells to power small appliances and save a little on that electricity bill. The efficiency by which we are now able to convert solar power into electricity is of such a degree that it is very possible to power a whole house! Now, isn’t that amazing?
3) Hydropower – This type of alternative energy resources makes use of water currents in order to turn turbines to run generators. Once again, this is not really a new technology. Like windmills, waterwheels were often used to harness the power of a nearby river in order to grind grain into flour.
4) Biogas – This is another type of renewable energy sources. Biogas is produced naturally via the decomposition of different biological material. By using biogas instead of the common LPG, home owners and especially farmers can cut back on their electric bills.
5) Geothermal energy looks toward the inner parts of the earth for heat and can be used for power, heating, and cooling. Geothermal energy is one of the best alternative sources of energy and is already less expensive to produce in terms of kilowatt-hours than the coal that the US keeps mining. Geothermal energy is readily available, sitting just a few miles below our feet and easily accessible through drilling.
6) Hydrogen energy: Hydrogen is the most abundant element found on earth, usually with other elements. By using the power of hydrogen energy you will be able to form energy that can be renewable, but also that is healthy for everyone and Earth in general. If hydrogen is found alone it can be burned or converted into electricity.
As you can see, renewable resources are all around us and there are a lot of different types of alternative energies to use for your home. What you need to do is explore these options and discover which type is the best for you to use.
Unfortunately, some of the methods of harnessing these green energy sources may yet seem impractical to the common homeowner yet. However, as technology continues to evolve, you can be sure that the use of the new energy sources will be more efficient.
Research into green and renewable resources is dangerously underfunded:
By using one or more types of alternative energy, you accomplish two things: you save on your expenses and you help create a better world. By using these sources, you harness relatively free energy. Some people may say that the devices used to harness these sources may be too expensive, but in the long run, you’ll end up saving so much more than you spend. Especially if homeowners are able to connect to an electrical grid through some source of renewable energy and then sell back to the power company any excess energy produced at retail prices.
Commodity.com published new research on the top US states in renewable energy production. Some interesting facts:
- Vermont is #1 in percentage of electricity generated from renewables: 99.9%
- Texas, the top producer of renewable energy, relies mainly on wind turbines.
- Some states that lag behind lack the size and geographic features that top producers use to scale up.
You can learn more here: https://commodity.com/blog/states-renewable-energy/
There are so many benefits to using an alternative energy source. If we don’t use them now we may not have a choice later. The knowledge we learn from today will help us use the energy more wisely.